Ginger Elixir Recipe
This ginger elixir is one of Dr. Sunil Pai’s favorite special food tonics that he learned through his Ayurvedic training. For those with weak digestion who need to take enzymes to help them digest food, this ginger elixir is a great natural pre-meal tonic, taken in a shot glass to stimulate digestive function and appetite.
It’s perfect for those who are undergoing panchakarma or a detoxification program. It also can help with lowering nausea and strengthen the ability to absorb nutrients.
- 1 three-to-four-inch piece of unpeeled fresh organic ginger root
- 4 to 6 organic lemons
- 1 cup purified water
- ¾ cup raw organic honey (for those who are strict vegans, organic agave nectar can be substituted)
- ¼ tsp. organic crushed black pepper
- Cut the ginger into ½-inch pieces.
- Using a powerful juicer, push the ginger through the juicer and juice enough to make 1 cup.
- In a citrus juicer, juice the lemons to make 1 cup of juice.
- Combine the juices in a large bowl.
- With a wire whisk, mix the water, honey, and black pepper into the ginger and lemon juice. Whisk until blended.
- Store in a pitcher or glass jar in the refrigerator.
Note: ginger and black pepper are sprayed with pesticides/herbicides and therefore Organic forms must be used to avoid these toxinsA poison made by certain bacteria, plants, or animals, including insects. and for best results.
Recommended use: One ounce twice daily, 10 minutes before meals.
For more detailed information on 10 steps to optimum health using diet and lifestyle changes and the use of natural anti-inflammatories, please read An Inflammation Nation.