This article is not a manual for pregnant women. Always discuss any treatments with your doctor and cancer support team.
Pregnancy and cancer overview
No reason to fear: Treating cancer while pregnant
Pregnancy is a joyous occasion, full of wonder and expectation. However, the diagnosis of cancer in the midst of pregnancy can overshadow your joy. The good news is researchers have been studying the effects of cancer treatment on infants during pregnancy and after birth.
One in 3,000 women will be diagnosed with cancer during pregnancy this year. (1) As women continue to delay starting a family due to various reasons, the cancer risk increases with every passing year. The most common cancers seen during pregnancy include breast cancer and blood cancers (leukemia and lymphoma).
Dispelling past beliefs
In the past, when a pregnant woman was given the diagnosis of cancer, the prognosis was poor. Since cancer, especially breast cancer, can be more aggressive during pregnancy, then an aggressive treatment must be used. The risk of birth defects increased and abortion was usually the recommendation.
A study published in Current Oncology in 2015 stated, “Some studies indicate that prognosis in advanced-stage cancer is worse in the pregnancy-associated group than in a stage-matched non-pregnant group, especially for women more than 35 years of age and for those diagnosed within 1 year postpartum.” (2)
The future did look bleak for many women desiring to start a family and battling cancer at the same time. Many women that took the route of therapeutic abortion had to deal with the aftermath of emotions and psychological turmoil of both losing a child and fighting cancer. (4)
Research studies to confirm safety during pregnancy
One such study led by Dr. Frederic Amant of University Hospitals Leuven in Belgium studied the long-term effects on children born to mothers given cancer treatments during pregnancy. The study was performed on children in the range of 12 months to 42 months old. (3) All 129 children were given a neurological examination at 18 or 36 months, or both. A cardiac assessment was performed at the 36-month mark. (3)
96 of the children in the study were exposed to chemotherapy while in the womb:
- 11 were exposed to radiotherapy
- 13 were exposed to surgery alone
- 2 to other cancer treatments
- 14 were not exposed to any treatment at all
- Some of the 96 children that were exposed to chemotherapy treatment may have also been exposed to a combo treatment (chemo plus an additional drug).
Conclusion of the study
The result of the study performed proves that prenatal exposure to cancer treatments does not impair the child in cognitive, cardiac, or general development in the early childhood years.
“There was no significant between-group difference in cognitive development on the basis of the Bayley score (P=0.08) or in subgroup analyses. The gestational age at birth was correlated with the cognitive outcome in the two study groups.” (3)
Treatments for cancer while pregnant
Certain treatments are still not deemed safe, so take precautions and consult your oncologist before beginning any treatment while pregnant. The first trimester does pose a great risk to the fetus as this is a pertinent development time period. Due to the danger of damage to the fetus, studies have not been done during the first trimester.
However, studies do show chemotherapy treatment in the second and third trimesters do not increase the risk of birth defects. Breast biopsy, mastectomy, and lymph node removal can be done safely. If you require breast-conserving surgery (BCS) it can be done, however, the radiation that typically follows would need to be scheduled after birth.(1)
Radiation, hormone, and targeted therapy cannot be performed until after birth. It is advised not to breastfeed your baby if you are receiving any cancer treatment as is can pass through the breast milk. (1)
Some of the cells in a developing fetus are similar to cancer cells. Alternative cancer people generally call these cells “trophoblastic” cells. Whether orthodox medicine uses this term I do not know.
But the important thing to understand is that these fetal cells are very similar to cancer cells. For example, they have high energy, are fast growing and probably have a very low “voltage.”
Alternative cancer treatments can be divided into two general groups:
First, those that target the cancer cells directly,
Second, those that target the cancer cells indirectly.
For example, the herb Paw Paw targets cancer cells directly by “looking for” (this, of course, is a metaphoric term) cells that consume high energy levels. Paw Paw then kills the cancer cells, which consume high amounts of energy. Unfortunately, many fetal cells also have this same property, and Paw Paw may kill these cells also. Thus, the major manufacturer of Paw Paw does not recommend their herb be taken by pregnant women or women who might become pregnant.
Remember, not all alternative cancer treatments that can kill fetal cells, come with such a warning. You cannot depend on your vendor to know what is going on. It is rare when pregnant women get cancer, and many vendors (and alternative practitioners) simply haven't run into this problem, so they don't know about it.
The safest course of action is to avoid all alternative cancer treatments that target cancer cells directly until the child is born. (There is no problem with this issue during breastfeeding.)
This means pregnant women should focus on alternative cancer treatments that treat cancer cells indirectly, such as those that build the immune system. I assume that our immune system (and to the best of my knowledge I have never heard differently) can tell the difference between a cancer cell and a fetal cell.
In terms of cancer treatments, here is the list of required, and safe, items.
- Transfer Point Beta Glucan (targets immune system)
- Lymph III and Quantum Kidney Complex (will protect liver, lymph, and kidneys)
- Quantum Kidney Complex may now be called: Quantum Kidney Support Budwig Diet – Flaxseed Oil/Cottage Cheese
- TWO Greens Drinks, one of which is at least 2 ounces of wheatgrass juice
The reason Aloe Immune, Lymph III and Quantum Kidney Complex are required is that you cannot take some of the more potent treatments (such as Paw Paw, DMSO, Enzymes, Cesium Chloride, etc.), but these are potent treatments you can take.
The reason the Budwig Diet is required is that all pregnant women need water-soluble omega 3 oils (actually, it is the baby that needs this). You should also eat two eggs a day for the baby.
- Aloe Immune – immune system
- Body Flex AM – super nutrient and immune builder
- Polysaccharide Supplements (such as beta glucan, BioBran, MGN3, AHCC, Immune Fx, etc.) – targets immune system ONLY
- XanGo Mangosteen
- Tahitian Noni Juice
- Wolfberry Juice
- Probiotics supplements
- Colostrum – immune system
- Vegetable Juices
Generally, because of the “cancer diet,” the super-fruit juices are only taken during the first month of treatment. On the other hand, Body Flex AM can be taken at any time.
This is not a complete list, but it gives you the idea. Be careful not to use too strong of a colon cleanse.
Partial list of Items to avoid
- Paw Paw
- Protocel, Cantron, Entleve
- Cesium Chloride / Rubidium / Potassium (used for cancer treatments)
- Any Treatment Using DMSO
For items not on any of the above lists, it is up to you to research whether the product targets cancer cells because they are undifferentiated.
If you disagree with something on this list or find out we have made an error, please contact us and let us know.
Consult with your oncologist on the best approach to treating your cancer. The future is looking bright for mothers and their babies!
Pregnancy, Foods, and Supplements
First of all, let me dispel a myth. The myth is this: the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the American Medical Association (AMA – which controls what your doctor knows and doesn't know), the March of Dimes, corporations, etc. can be relied upon to protect your health and the health of your developing baby.
If you depend on these organizations to protect your health, and the health of your baby, both you and your children may have a lot of health problems. These organizations, and many others are interested in one thing, and one thing only – your money. Quite frankly none of the organizations could care less about you or your baby. If you want a healthy baby you are going to have to do a lot of homework. As much as you may like and trust your medical doctor, remember that he or she was trained by medical schools that have been controlled by the pharmaceutical industry for many decades.
The things a mother eats, and doesn't eat, and puts on her body, both during pregnancy and during breastfeeding can have a profound effect on the intellect, memory, mental problems, etc. of their baby. Early childhood problems such as ADD, ADHD, brain cancer, autism, etc. may be primarily caused by the things a mother eats and doesn't eat, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
This is a partial list of the good, the bad and the ugly things. It is not a complete list, but it includes the things that seem to be the most critical. Don't forget to study the entire list and look at the links at the bottom of the article.
The Very Good
Regarding the things that should be eaten:
Choline (do not confuse this with chlorine)
- “Maternal choline levels are critical for fetal brain development, indicated the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill study in a supplement to the October Journal of the American College of Nutrition. Rat pups that received choline supplements in utero exhibited lifelong memory enhancement. This improvement in memory function may reflect improved hippocampal development. Translating the results to humans, the author suggested that eating one or two eggs a day could help pregnant women maintain the appropriate choline levels for fetal development.” ~ Neurology Reviews
For people who are sensitive or allergic to eggs, it's been observed that consuming raw eggs eliminate sensitivity or allergic reactions to cooked eggs. Simply add a raw egg or two to your favorite smoothie; there is no raw egg taste or texture the raw egg completely disappears in the smoothie. Ensure you consume only organic free-range eggs. Do not eat raw eggs that have been produced by industrialized commercial production these eggs are very unhealthy with high levels of antibiotics, growth hormones, raised on GMO feed, and raised in cruel conditions and are most likely to carry salmonella.
Non-animal, and therefore much healthier, sources of choline (which is one of the B vitamins) include cauliflower, grape juice, and cabbage.
Soy is also a plant source of choline but it is best to avoid soy all together it has been linked to hormone disruption and has been linked to thyroid damage. After giving birth women need their thyroid to return to normal and consuming soy may interfere with that process.
For more information read: The Whole Soy Story, by Kaayla T. Daniel, Ph.D., CCN
- “One study presented to the court showed that pregnant women who were given 800 mcg. of folic acid in multivitamin supplements experienced a 100 percent reduction in neural tube defects, compared with a 40 to 80 percent reduction resulting from a 400 mcg. dosage. According to a recent survey, only 30 percent of women of childbearing age know that folic acid reduces birth defects. By censoring this information about folic acid, the FDA was condemning tens of thousands of babies to crippling and irreversible birth defects… The FDA recently lost the case. An estimated 350,000 birth defects occurred in America during the time the folic acid lawsuit was in progress.” (See Pilgrims Rest link below)
The March of Dimes, which pretends to be experts in preventing birth defects, still recommends 400 mcg.
While all neonatal multivitamins contain folate, a pregnant woman should get half or more of her folate from natural sources. Natural sources include: free-range organic eggs, mushrooms, oranges, fresh squeezed orange juice, juices juiced at home in your own juicer, leafy green vegetables, beans, legumes, broccoli, asparagus, peas, split peas, lentils, barley, bran, brown rice, raw milk cheese from 100 percent pasture-raised cows, free-range: chicken, lamb, liver, dates, raw milk from 100 percent pasture-raised cows, mushrooms, root vegetables except potatoes, wild salmon, wild cold water fish, and whole grains but avoid gluten grains when pregnant and nursing because grain allergies are passed on to the unborn child and a nursing infant.
Yeast also contains folate but has been linked to many health issues including overgrowth of Candida and other fungi.
Peanuts are a legume that carries a dangerous fungus even if it's organic and is not the best source of folate.
Additionally, pork provides folate but also carries some health concerns and according to Dr. Johanna Budwig should be avoided especially if diagnosed with cancer. Finally, tuna also provides folate but has very high mercury levels especially if it’s been canned.
Omega-3: EFA and DHA
Another nutrient critical for fetal brain development is omega-3. The very long chain omega-3s can be obtained by eating wild cold water fish, especially wild salmon; always avoid farm-raised fish. Sea algae is another source of the DHA. But perhaps the easiest way to supplement EFA and DHA is to take a tablespoon or more of very high-quality cod liver oil which is high in EFA and DHA. If you’re pregnant you’ll need a higher dose of 3 to 4 tablespoons of cod liver oil daily or the soft gels take 5 twice a day with food. The higher dose is also for anyone deficient in omega 3’s. Carlson’s is a trusted quality brand and is available at most health food stores and online. Green Pasture Cod Liver oil is another trusted quality brand available from their website and some health practitioners carry it in their offices.
See these books for diet and nutrition:
The DHA Story, by Robert Abel, Jr., M.D.
Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
Diet Wise by Keith Scott Mumby, MD, PhD
The New Optimum Nutrition Bible by Jonathan Wright, MD
Our Children Are What Our Children Eat by Laura Thompson, Ph.D., ND
The less critical forms of omega-3 can be obtained from flaxseed (e.g.flaxseed oil) and walnuts. Dr. Johanna Budwig developed a protocol using, refrigerated non-lignan flaxseed oil with low-fat cottage cheese or yogurt, to support recovery from serious illness and some life-threatening diseases. By mixing per instructions from Dr. Budwig, non-lignan high-quality flaxseed oil with high-quality low fat cottage cheese it will become water soluble to increase the electrical charge at the cellular level and increasing oxygenation at the cellular level.
“Recently it has been discovered that the Omega-3 fats are necessary for the complete development of the human brain during pregnancy and the first two years of life. The Omega-3 fat and its derivative, DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), is so essential to a child’s development that if a mother and infant are deficient in it, the child’s nervous system and immune system may never fully develop, and it can cause a lifetime of unexplained emotional, learning, and immune system disorders.” ~ John Finnegan at http://www.mercola.com/beef/omega3.htm
See this cancer article on how to create water-soluble omega-3, which is the best kind of omega-3:
Johanna Budwig Diet (omega-3)
It is impossible to underestimate the importance of methyl molecules to a new fetus. They are critical to cell development, the immune system, the nervous system and a host of other chemical reactions in the developing fetus. In nature, MSM is found in mother’s breast milk and in fruits. True organic sulfur can deal with pain (because it gets oxygen inside the cells) and it can deal with inflammation for the same reason. MSM can support recovery from cancer because it gets oxygen inside the cells and cancer cells do not like oxygen. Air is 21 percent oxygen and water is 89 percent oxygen. The oxygen from air gets to the lungs, heart, and muscles. However, it is the oxygen from water that needs to get inside the cells both to, make the cells healthy, to give them energy and to kill microbes inside the cells. That’s why MSM crystal powder is diluted in water for supplementation. Learn more by following this link:
Another critical substance for pregnant women is iodine. While a woman might think to get iodine from iodized table salt (which is refined salt and has been stripped of all nutrients), it would be far better to get iodine from unrefined natural sea salts i.e. Celtic, Utah Real Salt, and Himalayan. Find supplements that contain the full complement of trace minerals, and nutrients with kelp added, organic sea vegetables are good food sources of iodine available dry and fresh. Seasilver ™ supplements contain iodine, natural salts, and trace minerals.
Supplemental iodine is Food-grade iodine. Food grade iodine is a supplement which must be taken with caution. Too much is toxic.
How to take food grade iodine supplement: One drop in 8 oz of distilled water if you are 150 pounds or less; once a day, and two drops if you are over 150 pounds in 8 oz of distilled water once a day.
Do the home skin test to know if you need supplemental iodine. Place one drop on the inside of the arm or inside the lower thigh with a q-tip spread it to a one inch circle; let air dry, leave on skin for 24 hours, if the iodine spot is gone then you need the iodine supplement; if the iodine spot is still on the skin or barely visible then your iodine level is fine for now.
Re-test each month, the iodine levels fluctuate since the body is using up iodine daily.
Caution: First aid iodine is not food grade iodine. It is important not to confuse them as being the same. First aid iodine is poisonous if taken orally.
For more information read:
Iodine-Why You Need It Why You Can’t Live Without It by David Brownstein, MD and
The Thyroid Solution by Ridha Arem, MD
Also, there is an excellent product called Transfer Point Beta Glucan that I strongly encourage you to take.
Natural Vitamin E
Virtually all neonatal multi-vitamins include Vitamin E. However, virtually all of them include synthetic Vitamin E. If this is what you are taking, you should go to a health food store and buy some natural Vitamin E and add this to what you are taking.
- “A new landmark study suggests that pregnant women should ask their physicians for a prenatal supplement that contains natural vitamin E for optimal health insurance. According to this new research, the human placenta can deliver natural vitamin E to the fetus in much greater concentration (3.5 to one) than the synthetic supplement.
Natural and synthetic Vitamin E is not the same. Previous research has shown natural vitamin E is better retained and more biologically active than synthetic. To identify the kind of vitamin E in a supplement, it is necessary to read the ingredients listed on the label. Natural vitamin E begins with “d,” as in “d-alpha-tocopherol.” The synthetic version begins with “dl.”
Premature babies are usually low in vitamin E. Neonatologists often put these babies on lung machines and respirators to help them breathe. Sometimes, too much oxygen can cause oxidative stress, which is why oxygen is sometimes referred to as a dangerous friend. Oxygen can produce free radical damage when it's administered through respirators. Studies have shown that vitamin E helps premature babies fight off oxidative stress damage to the heart, lungs, and eyes and defend against the destruction of red blood cells that can lead to anemia.
“We know that Vitamin E can help red blood cells survive in premature infants,” Dr. Acuff said. “So if we know that the natural type of vitamin E is best absorbed by the mother and transported to the fetus, then we should try to provide as much protection as possible if we have even an inkling that it might be what is best for the fetus. If I were in neonatology, I'd be very concerned about putting premature babies on respirators or in an oxygen tent without antioxidant protection.”
Sunlight (i.e. Vitamin D)
- “The journal New Scientist reported Feb. 8 that growing evidence indicates mothers-to-be who are not exposed to enough sunlight can develop a vitamin D deficiency that may alter their baby's brain in the womb, potentially laying the groundwork for schizophrenia in the child.”
The lack of sunlight may also cause a baby to eventually develop Type 1 (i.e. Type I) diabetes. See this interview:
Alpha Lipoic Acid (e.g. Lipoic Acid)
Alpha Lipoic Acid is one of the major antioxidants. But it is one of the few antioxidants that get past the blood-brain barrier. This makes it ideal for both the mother's brain and the baby's brain. However, that is not why I mention ALA. I mention it because it is one of the prime chelation nutrients of mercury (i.e. it helps remove mercury from the body). So even though it would be ideal for a woman to have her dental amalgam removed, in reality, most women will not do that, even though it will help them avoid Alzheimer's and dementia as they grow old.
ALA and raw apples (it is the fiber in the apples) are two of the many things that will help remove mercury from the body. But having it removed is by far the best choice. (Note: See my article on Alzheimer's to learn more about mercury and other heavy metals.)
CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TAKING ANY UNUSUAL SUPPLEMENTS OR UNUSUALLY HIGH DOSAGES OF NORMAL SUPPLEMENTS.
The Very Bad
Trans-fatty acids (TFAs) can cause extensive damage to a fetus, and even the brain of the developing fetus. TFAs are found in peanut butter, margarine, and virtually every other processed food. Trans-fatty acids are also called “hydrogenated oils” because the hydrogenation process is how TFAs are created. The hydrogenation process changes the chemical structure of certain fats and creates a monster of a molecule which can damage the brain of a fetus, cause cancer, cause Type 2 diabetes, and a whole host of other health problems:
- “Even in these baby foods, we see partially hydrogenated fats,” Sterken says, holding up a package of infant cereal. “Trans fatty acids replace the essential fatty acids (EFAs) that are needed for brain growth …”
Even if foods are [labeled], studies show some babies are still getting high doses of trans because their mothers are eating it. Research from the University of British Columbia shows trans fats pass through the placenta to the fetus. In Europe, another study found that the higher the trans in the diet of pregnant women, the more likely they were to give birth prematurely and have smaller babies. Once born, the trans fat ingested by mothers is passed to their babies through breast milk. In fact, a study by Health Canada found Canadian breast milk contained some of the highest levels of trans reported.
“I have grave concerns about the fat type in the diet of pregnant and lactating mothers and our young children right through to adulthood,” says Bruce Holub, a nutrition researcher at the University of Guelph.
(It is important to note that during the first two years of life infants and toddlers need a high-fat diet. Low-fat foods are not appropriate in the first two years of a child's growth.)”
Too Many Stored Potatoes
When potatoes are stored they get black spots on them. These black spots are caused by the fungi: Aspergillus and Fusarium. The mycotoxins created by these fungi are aflatoxin and fumosium. In pregnant women who consume large amounts of potatoes, the two mycotoxins have been incriminated as a cause of spina bifida.
See: Sick and Tired – Reclaim Your Inner Terrain, page 89
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
Avoid all GMO crops i.e. corn, soy, sugar, aspartame, canola and cottonseed oils, dairy with rBGH, papaya, zucchini, and yellow squash, etc.
Sadly, the list keeps getting longer with new GMO crops being developed. If you’re pregnant, want to get pregnant, dealing with health issues, have autoimmune, or cancer you must definitely avoid GMO crops and foods prepared with GMO ingredients. Look for the Non-GMO logo on packaged foods and buy organic or grow your own organic garden.
The initial scientific data – which will get far worse in the decades to come – is already connecting genetic modification to countless health and environmental problems:
- Increased risk of cancer
- Increased risk of allergies
- Infertility and birth defects
- Changes to internal organs
- Rapid aging
- Bugs and weeds resistant to prior controls
- Death of insects crucial to environmental balance
For more information go to responsibletechnology.org Institute for Responsible Technology and Thetruthaboutcancer.com (GMOs)
Castor oil is an immune stimulant and can be used as packs with gentle heat on the skin for detoxifying the liver, to help dissolve various types of fibroids, and even over an area where cancer has been diagnosed to support the immune system. Castor oil has been taken orally to induce labor and to be avoided until the baby is full term and only when the mother needs help to induce labor. It should always be done under medical supervision or with a trained midwife. It has been considered a better natural option for labor-inducing drugs.
Alcohol causes “Fetal Alcohol Syndrome,” which is actually several different diseases that can result in brain damage, caused by a mother drinking alcohol while pregnant. It has been shown that a single intoxication can cause brain damage to a fetus. Furthermore, alcohol can stay in the body for up to 3 months.
Chlorinated tap water has been associated with a slight increase in the incidence of spina bifida.
Does smoking even need to be mentioned? Or caffeine? All of these things are only the tip of the iceberg in terms of dangers to unborn children. The links below will discuss many of the more common substances that can cause serious or fatal damage to a fetus.
Here is a good generic quote:
- “These are among research findings that Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory research associate Sharon Pottmeyer writes about it in a Web-site Hot Topic for the Parent Information Resource Center (http://www.nwrel.org/pirc/). Pottmeyer, pulling information from researchers such as Rima Shore, author of Rethinking the Brain: New Insights into Early Development, and Jane M. Healy, author of Endangered Minds, says that toxins known to cause problems or implicated in problems for the developing brain include metals such as lead, methyl mercury, arsenic, aluminum, and cadmium; environmental pollutants such as PCBs, solvents, pesticides, and some chemical fertilizers; recreational drugs that include alcohol, cocaine, codeine, methadone, and heroin; and prescription and over-the-counter drugs. The ill effects of these various drugs and toxins are most generally lowered IQs, mental retardation, attention deficits, academic learning difficulties, social problems, and central nervous system issues.”
A warning about the overuse of ultrasound
While it is true that ultrasound is far safer for both mother and baby than X-Rays, ultrasound should only be used when absolutely necessary. There is a fad in some parts of the country where ultrasound is used indiscriminately, almost for entertainment. Ultrasound can be very dangerous to a fetus. The FDA has issued a warning about the overuse of ultrasound.
- “Evidence suggesting that ultrasound scans on pregnant women cause brain damage in their unborn babies has been uncovered by scientists.” ~
The Very Ugly
Aspartame (e.g. NutraSweet, Equal, etc.) and Neotame can cause brain damage to an unborn fetus. This brain damage can be manifest as mental retardation, Cerebral Palsy, autism, ADD, ADHD, brain tumors, and a myriad of other brain-related disorders.
“… aspartame disrupts fetal development by aborting it or inducing defects. And if a live child is born aspartame may have heinously damaged the DNA of the baby, cursing future generations.”James Bowen, MD
I am also convinced that aspartame, during pregnancy or during nursing, is a major cause of brain cancer among many children younger than one-year-old. In fact do not sweeten your food with any man-made substance, including Splenda. Use honey when you can, it is both antiviral and antifungal. (Note: Children under 2 should not be given honey, it is for mothers only.)
In adults, aspartame is known to cause brain cancer.
MSG, HVP, Cysteine
MSG (monosodium glutamate), and HVP (hydrolyzed vegetable protein) can also cause these same conditions above because it has the same chemical properties (excitotoxins) as one of the chemicals in aspartame. It is particularly damaging when aspartame and MSG are consumed together.
In fact, MSG is in almost every processed food you can buy. MSG is added to over 30 different substances allowing the food vendor to hide the fact that MSG is their product. Food vendors add MSG to make the food more favorable.
Here is a partial list of foods that contain MSG. The list was compiled by Shoshanna Allison, M.T.P.:
Food Additives That ALWAYS Contain MSG
- Monosodium Glutamate [MSG]
- Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein [HVP]
- Hydrolyzed Protein; Hydrolyzed Plant Protein
- Plant Protein Extract
- Sodium Caseinate
- Calcium Caseinate
- Yeast Extract
- Textured Protein (Including TVP)
- Autolyzed Yeast
- Hydrolyzed Oat Flour
- Corn Oil
Food Additives That FREQUENTLY Contain MSG
- Malt Extract
- Malt Flavoring
- Natural Flavors/Flavoring
- Natural Beef or Chicken Flavoring
Food Additives That MAY Contain MSG Or Excitotoxins
- Soy Protein Concentrate
- Soy Protein Isolate
- Whey Protein Concentrate
Also: Protease Enzymes of various sources can release excitotoxin amino acids from food proteins
For more information on MSG and food labeling, see: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/
Chemicals in Cosmetics and Toiletries
Numerous cosmetics and toiletries, such as perfumes, deodorants, hair spray, hair shampoo, toothpaste, etc. contain chemicals that are dangerous to a fetus and nursing infant.
- “Phthalates are metabolized in humans once ingested or absorbed through the skin. In pregnant women, phthalates pass through the placenta to be absorbed by the fetus. In nursing women, phthalates are found in breast milk, which means infants are ingesting these chemicals as they develop. In male fetuses — and infants especially — the phthalates have been shown to cause testicular atrophy and a reduced sperm count, among other serious health problems.”
Phthalates are just one of many chemicals found in everyday cosmetics and toiletries that is potentially very harmful to developing fetuses and infants.
Even the chemicals in toothpaste can be dangerous:
- “Dr. Peter Vikesland of Virginia Polytechnic Institute found that the antibacterial chemical triclosan can react with the chlorine in water to produce chloroform gas. Researchers believe that over time, inhaled chloroform can result in depression, liver ailments, and even cancer. Said Dr. Vikesland, “The amount of gas formed is very low but I think the key thing is that we just don't know what the effects are. However, manufacturers do have to list triclosan on their ingredients, so if consumers are worried, the best advice is to avoid such products with the chemical.”Mark Prigg, Science Correspondent and Rebecca Lawrence, Evening Standard, “Toothpaste cancer alert,” ~ This is LONDON, Evening Standard, April 15, 2005.
Rather than try to list all of the known dangerous chemicals in skin products, etc., consider this quote:
- “EVER SINCE 1938, when the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted self-regulation to the cosmetic industry, such products can be marketed without government approval of ingredients, regardless of what tests show. Most of the 25,000 chemicals used in our everyday skin products have not been tested for long-term effects. In a typical day, you might be exposed to more than 200 different chemicals, many of which are suspected of causing cancer or disrupting hormones.” ~ Las Vegas’ Guide to Healthy Living, April 2004
So what can you do? Try to use products that have few, if any, added chemicals. That is difficult to do because the chemicals in a product are rarely mentioned. It may require a trip to the health food store, but even then, there may be hidden chemicals.
Cough Suppressant Linked to Birth Defects
From the well-known Dr. Mercola website I quote the following:
- “Dextromethorphan, the major ingredient in most OTC cough medicines, has been shown to cause birth defects and fetal death in chicken embryos exposed to concentrations relative to those typically taken by humans. Researchers found that dextromethorphan causes defects so early in the development of the embryo that in many cases the woman wouldn't even know she is pregnant. Researchers feel that a single dose is capable of causing a birth defect and that, ultimately, it could be the cause for a woman to have a miscarriage.
Dextromethorphan suppresses cough by acting on receptors in the adult central nervous system. But in embryos, the drug appears to “knock out” the receptors, thus leading to the defects. Further study is needed, but in the meantime, the authors suggest that pregnant women or women attempting to get pregnant, be advised not to use dextromethorphan-containing cough medicine.”
- “A July 2000 report from a National Academy of Sciences study states that 60,000 children are born at risk for adverse neuro-developmental effects each year due to their mothers' exposure to methyl-mercury. A Center for Disease Control and Prevention study in March 2001 (in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report) indicates that about 10% of American women of child-bearing age are at risk for having a baby born with neurological problems due to in utero mercury exposure (statistically representing about 375,000 babies/year). The fact that [dental] amalgams [the silver tooth fillings] are most likely the major contributor to the mercury levels in American citizens should be clearly presented to the public. Yet all the American public hears is concerns about mercury in fish.” ~ Boyd Haley, Ph.D. (Testimony Before the House Government Reform Committee) http://www.whale.to/a/toxic_dentistry.html
Incredibly the devastating effects of dental amalgam have been known about for several decades, yet nothing has been done by the American Medical Association, the American Dental Association or any of the government agencies. While dental amalgam is the greatest cause of mercury toxicity, don't forget that fish can also be a significant cause.
If you are pregnant or have recently given birth, do not get a flu shot or any other kind of shot. They are loaded with mercury.
Fluoride kills brain cells in infants.
Consider this quote on fluoride and developing fetus brains:
- “An earlier study by Mullenix et al., reported in Nevrotoxicology and Teratology, in 1995, found that animals exposed to fluoride at various stages of gestation suffered either permanent hyperactivity if exposed prenatally, or became “the rat version of couch potato” if exposed after birth, though there was no elaboration of exactly what that is.
The Natick folks say “there is good evidence that fluoride . . . affects the IQ and behavioral patterns of the developing fetus at doses that are not toxic to the mother.”
The International Society for Fluoride Research has also reported studies implicating fluoride in the rising rates of Down's syndrome, chronic fatigue syndrome and sleep disorders.”
Dr. Mercola has a video on fluoride and babies:
If you walk into a Wal Mart store and visit the bottled water section, you will likely find water, especially for babies. What is special about this water? The water has fluoride in it.
If you think you can trust the morons in big business, think again. They don't have a clue or concern about their customers, all they care about are profits.
How about aluminum? While aluminum is technically not a heavy metal, it is so toxic it is frequently listed as heavy metal. Aluminum is known to pass through the placenta to the fetus. It is also known to be a major cause of Alzheimer's.
- “In animal studies, aluminum blocks the action potential or electrical discharge of nerve cells, reducing nervous system activity. Aluminum also inhibits important enzymes in the brain (Na-K-ATPase and hexokinase). Aluminum may also inhibit uptake of important chemicals by nerve cells (dopamine, norepinephrine, and 5-hydroxytryptamine).”http://www.naturallybalancedhealth.com/healthalert.ivnu
While it is true that fluoride and aluminum are independently bad for the brain of a developing fetus, it should also be known that the combination of aluminum and fluoride makes the damage of both items much, much greater.
- “Evidently Alzheimer's Disease came along after people started using aluminum cookware. Isabel Jansen, R.N., wrote of a simple experiment regarding the use of aluminum pots, where it's easily proven that the aluminum and the fluoride content in water, both increase dramatically.
“In January 1987, experiments performed at the Medical Research Endocrinology Dept., Newcastle upon Tyne, England, and the Physics Dept of the Univ. of Ruhana, Sri Lanka, showed that fluoridated water at 1 ppm, when used in cooking in aluminum cookware, concentrated the aluminum up to 600 ppm, whereas water without fluoride did not. (Science news 131:73)
They suggested that because of the known fact that aluminum is neuro-toxic and is in abnormally high concentrations in the brain of Alzheimer's and other neurological disease victims, including AIDS, that these findings raise questions about adding fluoride to the water supply of communities to reduce tooth decay …
Because of these findings, a test was made of Antigo, Wisconsin water which has been fluoridated for 33 years. The water was examined by a certified Wisconsin laboratory and showed that when it was used in cooking in aluminum cookware, it concentrated the aluminum by 833 times and increased the fluoride content by 100%.
The maximum allowable aluminum content of water is set by the World Health Organization at 200 micrograms per liter. This makes Antigo water when cooked in aluminum, 75 times over the maximum. No test was made of distilled water, as the Antigo Water Dept. does not dispense distilled water.”
There are also several other links at the bottom about fluoride and Down Syndrome. Fluoride can be found in many places other than your water.
In short, throw away all of your aluminum pots and pans, and do not drink out of aluminum soda pop cans, etc.
Do NOT cook with aluminum foil.
Do NOT drink tap water or cook with tap water.
What about distilled water?
The distilled water myth is like the cholesterol myth … it gets repeated so much that people assume it's “fact.” The fact is that distilled water is PH neutral just like human blood. It does NOT leach out minerals the human body needs. It does leach out toxins and heavy metals; distilled water is great for detoxifying the blood. That's why it's recommended by many trained health practitioners to drink one full glass of distilled water every day upon arising. Spring water and artesian well water is NOT purified and unregulated it contains many microbes and parasites. It is not a safe source of drinking water unless it's been tested and purified before it's sent to market or before you consume it if you have your own spring or well.
Purified and distilled water are the safest sources of drinking water. For more information on distilled water:
Dr. Brian Clement, Ph.D.
Aquarius/andrewnortonweber.com; health writer
Just to show you how impossible it is to avoid aluminum, consider these known sources of aluminum toxicity:
- beverages from aluminum cans (soda pop and beer)
- food cooked in aluminum cookware
- use of aluminum-containing antacids
- use of antiperspirants (read the label)
- drinking water (aluminum is frequently added to municipal water)
- baking powders
- drying agents in salt and other products
- processed cheese
- bleached flour
- fluoridated water increases leaching of aluminum from aluminum pots and pans
- Born with elevated aluminum passed from mother to fetus through the placenta.”
Obviously, if you eat processed foods, you will get plenty of fluoride and aluminum in your diet – far too much. Therefore, you must do everything in your power to remove these things from what you prepare for yourself.
- “According to a report in the Lancet in 1989, many infant formulas contain aluminum. In this report, it was revealed that human breast milk contained 5-20 micrograms per liter of aluminum, cow’s milk-based formulas contained 20 times as much aluminum, and soy-based formulas contained 100 times as much. So human breast milk had the lowest concentrations, proving to be the safest.” ~ http://www.drlaurathompson.com/OldFiles/heavy_metal_toxicity.htm
Vaccinations For Mother or Child
All vaccinations contain either mercury or aluminum. Plus they contain other highly damaging chemicals, as well as live viruses. Note that when you get a “mercury-free vaccination” you are getting aluminum instead, which is just as bad. But other chemicals in the vaccination are also very dangerous.
Mercury passes through the placenta, so vaccinating the mother is no different than pumping highly toxic mercury (or aluminum) directly into the brain of the fetus.
Many babies are born with autism. You can rest assured this autism came from the mother's vaccinations or other exposure to mercury.
The best approach, if you live in a state that allows it, is to avoid all vaccinations by signing a waiver. However, if you live in a state where vaccinations are mandatory, then find a pediatrician that will work with parents to develop a vaccination schedule that starts later in the infant's life and that spaces out the frequency of the vaccinations as well as eliminating some vaccinations completely.
Visit greatergoodmovie.org for education on vaccines and parental support.
Flu prevention and cure
The best solution is to avoid the flu vaccinations and to become familiar with these supplements which can all deal with viral infections.
Flu prevention and cure products include:
- Miracle Mineral Supplement (28% stabilized oxygen)
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin D, ensure it is natural Vitamin D3 and NOT synthetic D2
- Vitamin C, ensure it is the full complex and noy isolated ascorbic acid; use an organic food-based
- The Bob Beck Protocol (electromedicine)
It is beyond the scope of this article to talk much about this subject, but the Mercola website and many other websites talk about how mercury causes autism and other brain problems.
General Pregnancy Links
Midwifery Today – A good general site
Pregnant? Why You Need to DEMAND Vitamin D Testing – Dr. Mercola
Ultrasound: More Harm than Good? – Midwifery Today
How Caffeine During Pregnancy Can Damage Your Baby – Joseph Mercola, MD
Pregnant? For Your Baby's Health, Eat Fish, But Make Sure It's High in Omega-3 and Low in Mercury – CureZone
Brain Development – Choline – Prevention News
Thyroid Regulation and Dysfunction in the Pregnant Patient – John Lazarus, MA, MD
Toxins and Pregnancy Links
Pregnancy and Aspartame – H.J. Roberts, MD
MSG and Autism – MSG Myth
Antidepressants Causing Birth Defects and Are Found in Water Supplies – Dr. Mercola
Cancer, Alzheimer's, Down’s Syndrome and Mouth Ulcers – Warning: Fluoride is Harmful to Health – Fluoride Alert