Wheatgrass contains at least 13 vitamins (several are antioxidants), including B12, many minerals and trace elements, including selenium, and all 20 amino acids. It also contains the hormone abscisic acid (also called: dormin, see below), the antioxidant enzyme SOD (Superoxide Dismutase, see below) and over 30 other enzymes, the antioxidant enzyme cytochrome oxidase, laetrile, and a whole lot of other nutrients. (3)
- “superoxide dismutase (SOD) – which converts two superoxide anions into a molecule of hydrogen peroxide and one of oxygen” (6)
One theory suggests SOD converts one of the most dangerous free radicals: Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS), into a hydrogen peroxide molecule (which has an extra oxygen molecule to kill cancer cells) and an oxygen molecule.
- “In 1938, the great cancer scientist and researcher Paul Gerhardt Seeger, M.D., revealed that the true cause of the cancerous degeneration of a cell results from the destruction of a specific respiratory enzyme, cytochrome oxidase. In other words, cancer in the cell is caused by disturbance of oxygen utilization or cell respiration.” (7)
But, it may be that chlorophyll is the best part of wheatgrass.
- “In a study reported in the journal Mutation Research comparing the anticancer effect of chlorophyll to beta-carotene, and vitamins A, C and E, chlorophyll was proven to be a more effective antimutagen than any of them.”
It is suggested that the main reason chlorophyll is so good at dealing with cancer is the oxygen availability it provides.
- “Both chlorophyll (as in wheatgrass juice) and hemoglobin (red blood cells) are molecularly similar. The only actual difference is that the central element in chlorophyll is magnesium and in hemoglobin it is iron. Chlorophyll has the ability to break down poisonous carbon dioxide and release free oxygen.” (8)
One theory suggests that the hormone abscisic acid (ABA) is 40 times more potent four hours after cutting the wheatgrass than it is at the time of cutting. So the question boils down to this: How important is ABA to treating cancer compared to the other anticancer substances in wheatgrass?
Before her death, Dr. Virginia Livingston-Wheeler had a clinic that treated cancer patients. Her vaccine was based on abscisic acid. This is a quote about her clinic.
- “Abscisic acid is a supplement you will not find in a health food store. Based on her research, Dr. Livingston-Wheeler determined that abscisic acid neutralizes the effect of chorionic gonadotropin, the hormone that protects the fetus from being rejected, and she classed it as her prime supplement in treating cancer. Livingston-Wheeler discovered that cancer cells (or the microbes associated with them) produce a substance very similar to chorionic gonadotropin. Abscisic acid is a close relative of Vitamin A. In her book, The Conquest of Cancer; Livingston-Wheeler describes how you can make abscisic acid.”
- “The Wheatgrass Diet [of Ann Wigmore] excludes all meat, dairy products and cooked foods and emphasizes “live foods” such as uncooked sprouts, raw vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds. The Wheatgrass Diet was developed by Boston resident Ann Wigmore who established the Hippocrates Health Institute which later was renamed the Ann Wigmore Institute (AWI).”
Hippocrates Health Institute – Institute founded by Ann Wigmore