How It Works
Ellagic acid is a naturally occurring polyphenolic constituent found in 46 different fruits and nuts such as grapes, pomegranate, red raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, and walnuts. According to some sources,“[Ellagic acid] prevents the binding of carcinogens to DNA and strengthens connective tissue, which may keep cancer cells from spreading.” (1) Ellagic Acid is claimed to have the ability to inhibit mutations within a cell's DNA. Furthermore, it is considered to be a cancer inhibitor which has the ability to cause apoptosis or normal cell death in cancer cells.
Working theories regarding the anti-cancer action of Ellagic Acid
- First, ellagic acid kills cancer cells by promoting cell death (apoptosis).
- Second, ellagic acid stops the growth of tumors.
- Third, ellagic acid causes G-arrest.
- Fourth, ellagic acid helps prevent cancer, birth defects, etc
- Fifth, ellagic acid seems to have anti-viral and anti-carcinogenic effects.
- Sixth, ellagic acid (i.e. from ellagitannins), is combined with glucose, making it easier to gain entry into cancer cells.