Ellagic acid cancer treatment
How It Works
Ellagic acid is a naturally occurring polyphenolic constituent found in 46 different fruits and nuts such as grapes, pomegranate, red raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, and walnuts. According to some sources,“[Ellagic acid] prevents the binding of carcinogens to DNA and strengthens connective tissue, which may keep cancer cells from spreading.” (1) Ellagic Acid is claimed to have the ability to inhibit mutations within a cell's DNA. Furthermore, it is considered to be a cancer inhibitor which has the ability to cause apoptosisA type of cell death in which a series of molecular steps in a cell lead to its death. This is one method the body uses to get rid of unneeded or abnormal cells. The process of apoptosis may be blocked in cancer cells. Also called programmed cell death. or normal cell death in cancer cells.
Working theories regarding the anti-cancer action of Ellagic Acid
- First, ellagic acid kills cancer cells by promoting cell death (apoptosis).
- Second, ellagic acid stops the growth of tumors.
- Third, ellagic acid causes G-arrest.
- Fourth, ellagic acid helps prevent cancer, birth defects, etc
- Fifth, ellagic acid seems to have anti-viral and anti-carcinogenic effects.
- Sixth, ellagic acid (i.e. from ellagitannins), is combined with glucoseA type of sugar; the chief source of energy for living organisms., making it easier to gain entry into cancer cells.
- Healthy Eating to Combat Diseases – By Sandra Tay
- Chemopreventive Properties of Phytochemicals by Dr. Glen Halvorson