TREATMENT RATING: While there are those who consider Mangosteen to be a primary cancer treatment, this Cancer Tutor website considers Mangosteen to be a primary cancer treatment only for newly diagnosed cancer patients. For advanced cancer patients this treatment is considered a highly recommended supplemental protocol!! Mangosteen provides critical nutrients to the non-cancerous cells and will likely kill many cancer cells. But this website does not consider it strong enough to be a primary treatment for advanced cancer patients.
Chapter on Treatments Rated For Advanced Cancer Patients
How It Works
Various studies have shown that phytoceuticals in Mangosteen (in some cases known to be its xanthones) have properties such as: anti-tumor (shrinks tumors), anti-leukemia, antifungal (critical for all cancer patients), antibacterial (to protect DNA), antioxidants (at least two dozen different kinds of xanthones are in the mangosteen fruit), antiproliferation, kills cancer cells and causes apoptosis (programmed cell death) for some types of cancer. This is a pretty impressive list of cancer credentials!
In keeping with the superb anti-cancer properties of many kinds of fruits, especially grapes and berries, mangosteen can be added to this exclusive list.
The mangosteen fruit (Garcinia mangostana L.) is grown in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, India and several other countries. Most of the scientific research on this fruit involves about a half dozen of the two dozen known xanthones in this fruit. Most of the xanthones in Mangosteen have yet to be researched. Mangosteen has a wide range of benefits, perhaps most result from its xanthone phytoceuticals/antioxidants. However, mangosteen also contains: catechins, polyphenols, minerals and vitamins.
As an antioxidant, mangosteen is very high among plants:
A new laboratory test known as ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) has also shown that an ounce of mangosteen juice has 20 to 30 times the ability to absorb free radicals than one ounce of most fruits and vegetables. The ORAC test is one of the most accurate ways to measure the ability of antioxidants in a certain substance to absorb free radicals. The higher the ORAC score, the better the food is for the body.
Site is Down
Here are some of the xanthones in mangosteen:
- Garcinone A
- Garcinone B
- Garcinone C
- Garcinone D
- Garcinone E
In terms of direct studies on cancer, the following quote is related to cancer:
We found that antiproliferative effect of CME [crude methanolic extract] was associated with apoptosis on breast cancer cell line by determinations of morphological changes and oligonucleosomal DNA fragments. In addition, CME at various concentrations and incubation times were also found to inhibit ROS production. These investigations suggested that the methanolic extract from the pericarp [skin] of Garcinia mangostana had strong antiproliferation, potent antioxidation and induction of apoptosis. Thus, it indicates that this substance can show different activities and has potential for cancer chemoprevention which were dose dependent as well as exposure time dependent.
“Antiproliferation, antioxidation and induction of apoptosis by Garcinia mangostana (mangosteen) on SKBR3 human breast cancer cell line,” by Moongkarndi P, Kosem N, Kaslungka S, Luanratana O, Pongpan N, Neungton N.
Heres is another study:
Our results have shown that one of the xanthone derivatives which could be identified as garcinone E has potent cytotoxic effect on all HCC cell lines as well as on other gastric and lung cancer cell lines included in the screen. We suggest that garcinone E may be potentially useful for the treatment of certain types of cancer.
“Garcinone E, a Xanthone Derivative, has Potent Cytotoxic Effect Against Hepatocellular Carcinome Cell Lines” by Chi-Kuan Ho, Yu-Ling Huang and Chieh-Chih Chen
Some of the more impressive research on mangosteen involve leukemia:
We examined the effects of six xanthones from the pericarps of mangosteen, Garcinia mangostana, on the cell growth inhibition of human leukemia cell line HL60. All xanthones displayed growth inhibitory effects. Among them, alpha-mangostin showed complete inhibition at 10 microM through the induction of apoptosis.
“Induction of apoptosis by xanthones from mangosteen in human leukemia cell lines,” by Matsumoto K, Akao Y, Kobayashi E, Ohguchi K, Ito T, Tanaka T, Iinuma M, Nozawa Y.
More mangosteen scientific studies can be found at:
One of the nice things about mangosteen is not only that it tastes good, but is also anti-diarrheal, meaning you are not likely to get diarrhea from drinking too much Mangosteen.
Here is how to get toally unbiased information about Mangosteen (from Dr. Duke):
This is the world famous Dr. Duke’s Agricultural Research Service:
- Click on this website: http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/
- Click on Chemicals and activities,
- Select ‘Common Name’ then type in ‘mangosteen’ in the search box,
- Select ‘Print chemical activities after chemicals’ then Submit Query. Read all the way down the page.
Important Warning: Due to the fact that many cancer patients have liver damage, frequently due to chemotherapy, and due to the fact that high doses of this product may, in rare cases, contribute to liver damage; doses of this product should not exceed 3 or 4 ounces a day. Those who already have liver damage should avoid this product.
An alternative cancer treatment should be a complete treatment protocol. Do NOT forget to study the complete treatment protocol for Stage I, II and III cancer patients and the complete treatment protocol for Stage IV cancer patients:
Treatment For Stage I, II and III Cancer Patients
Treatment For Stage IV Cancer Patients
Site – Articles and Information
- Mangosteen Research – Superb Site of Information about Mangosteen
- Dr. Ray Sahelian – Impressive list of scientific studies
- Mangosteen Juice – Another list of scientic studies
- Mangosteen MD – >Site with some good information
Site – Vendors of XanGo (Recommended Manufacturer)
- Call For Info – Vendor of XanGo mangosteen (U.S.) [ 785-331-8681 ]
- Beth Broderson – Vendor of XanGo mangosteen (U.S.) – also sells Amigo Health (Acai Berries)
- Randy Utz – Vendor of XanGo mangosteen (U.S.)
- Victor Lehman – Vendor of XanGo mangosteen (U.S.)
- Mike Bornia – Vendor of XanGo mangosteen (U.S.)
- Maria Leamy – Vendor of XanGo mangosteen (U.S.)
- Petra Glenesk – Vendor of XanGo mangosteen (U.S.)
Site – Vendors of XanGo (Non-U.S. Vendors)
- Discover Mangosteen – Vendor of XanGo: U.S., Canada, Mexico, Germany, Sweden, U.K., Ireland, Japan and Phillipines
- Carol Adl – Vendor of XanGo: U.K. and Rest of Europe
- Juice World – Vendor of XanGo mangosteen (U.K.)
- Paul Spallini – Vendor of XanGo mangosteen (U.K.)
- Jim Blake – Vendor of XanGo mangosteen (Canada)
- Kim and Nigel March – Vendor of XanGo mangosteen (Australia)
- Mike Haels – Vendor of XanGo mangosteen (Hong Kong)
- Vida Sawit – Vendor of XanGo mangosteen (Singapore and Philippines)
Site- Other Vendors of Mangosteen Products
- Zambroza – Zambroza Brand of Mangosteen
- Mango Xan – Mango Xan Brand of Mangosteen
- Adam’s Mangosteen – 100% Mangosteen Juice – Added Dried Mangosteen Rind
- VTrueNatural – Mangosteen Extract plus other natural products (www.vtruenatural.com)
- Nature’s Sunshine – Thai-Go Brand of Mangosteen
- Creative Options – Mangosteen Plus Brand of Mangosteen (click on: ‘Products’ TWICE)