First of all, it is necessary to distinguish between someone having Meniere’s Disease versus someone having the symptoms of Meniere’s Disease.
Meniere’s Disease is not identified by a cause, rather it is identified by a set of symptoms. Thus, for example, if one person gets the symptoms of Meniere’s Disease because of the Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) and another person gets the symptoms of Meniere’s Disease because of a food allergy, they are both said to have Meniere’s Disease.
It should not be a surprise, therefore, that no one knows what “causes” Meniere’s Disease for the simple reason that there may be many things that cause it.
However, according to the book: The Calcium Bomb – The Nanobacteria Link to Heart Disease and Cancer, by Douglas Mulhall and Katja Hansen, Meniere’s Disease is caused by calcification (page 4). The book also states:
The inner ear regulates balance with fluid. Sometimes tiny stones in the ear seem to undergo a chemical change from calcium carbonate to calcium phosphate and then roll around in the fluid, leading to loss of balance. The cause [of the calcification] is unknown. There is no cure.
The Calcium Bomb, page 11
This means that one cure for true Meniere’s Disease may be oral chelation therapy or EDTA chelation by I.V. It may well be that a microbe is responsible for the calcification. Also, the treatments for kidney stones may also be effective against Meniere’s Disease (use 1 cup of asparagus per day to deal with kidney stones).
However, we must also consider the treatment of diseases that cause the symptoms of Meniere’s Disease.
KNOWN CAUSE of Symptoms: Aspartame
First of all, aspartame, the sugar substitute, also known as NutraSweet, Equal, etc., that is found in virtually all diet soft drinks and many other products, has been proven to cause the symptoms of Meniere’s Disease. It also causes depression and a lot of other things.
RULE #1: Avoid aspartame AT ALL COSTS
Likewise, the ubiquitous food additive MSG, or monosodium glutamate (to be discussed next), can also give a person the symptoms of Meniere’s Diease.
Since both of these substances are called “excitotoxins,” I suspect any and all excitotoxins can cause the symptoms of Meniere’s Disease.
But let’s talk more about MSG because it is “hidden” in virtually every processed food you eat.
KNOWN CAUSE of Symptoms: MSG, HVP, Cysteine
MSG is ADDED to over 30 different substances, thus allowing the food vendors to HIDE the fact that MSG is in their products. Food vendors ADD MSG on purpose to make the food more flavorable and to make the food more addictive. However, they HIDE the fact that MSG is in their products because if they admitted it, no one would buy their products.
I went to the grocery store one day and looked at the sliced turkey section. None of these products mentioned that they contained MSG, yet every product I saw did contain MSG hidden under another name.
Here is a PARTIAL list of foods that contain MSG that the food industry does not want you to know about. The list was compiled by Shoshanna Allison, M.T.P.:
Food Additives That ALWAYS Contain MSG
- Monosodium Glutamate [MSG]
- Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein [HVP]
- Hydrolyzed Protein; Hydrolyzed Plant Protein
- Plant Protein Extract
- Sodium Caseinate
- Calcium Caseinate
- Yeast Extract
- Textured Protein (Including TVP)
- Autolyzed Yeast
- Hydrolyzed Oat Flour
- Corn Oil
Food Additives That FREQUENTLY Contain MSG
- Malt Extract
- Malt Flavoring
- Natural Flavors/Flavoring
- Natural Beef or Chicken Flavoring
Food Additives That MAY Contain MSG Or Excitotoxins
- Soy Protein Concentrate
- Soy Protein Isolate
- Whey Protein Concentrate
- Also: Protease Enzymes of various sources can release excitotoxin amino acids from food proteins
For more information about MSG fraud, see:
Note that orthodox medicine states that a Meniere’s patient should avoid salt. Since virtually ALL processed foods have both salt and MSG added to them, it is quite possible that MSG if the real culprit. However, added salt should be avoided by everyone.
RULE #2: Avoid MSG, HVP, cysteine, etc. AT ALL COSTS
Possible Cause: Food Allergies
Allergies frequently cause inflammations in the body. These allergies show up in different places in the body. It is possible one of those places causes the symptoms of Meniere’s Disease.
Recently, attention has been mainly focussed on the immunologic function of the endolymphatic sac; thus, immune disease may contribute to a substantial percentage of Meniere’s disease. However, for the most part, the underlying cause of Meniere’s disease is unknown. It is most often attributed to viral infections of the inner ear, head injury, a hereditary predisposition, and allergy.
Possible Cause: Microbes
In one study, 21 Meniere’s Disease patients were tested for HSV-1 and HSV-2 virus. As you may remember HSV-1 is a very common virus and causes cold sores. HSV-2 is an STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease). 20 of the 21 patients had the HSV-1 antibodies. However, whether this study is significant or not is not known. Most people have the HSV-1 virus and once they get it they have it for life.
While Meniere’s Disease may be caused by a virus, there is insufficient evidence that it is generally caused by a virus.
Having said that, a review of the natural substances that have successfully treated Meniere’s Disease leads to a list of items that are generally antiviral, antifungal and antibacteria treatments.
An example of this is colloidal silver, which has been shown to be effective in the treatment of Meniere’s Disease. In alternative medicine colloidal silver is generally used to treat bacterial infections and viral infections.
Other Things to Avoid
Meniere’s Disease may be caused or exacerbated by poor circulation. Things like caffeine and nicotine are well-known to cause circulation problems. Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes also cause circulatory problems.
There is a list of supplements below which improve circulation. Treatments for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes can be found elsewhere on this website.
Here are some alternative treatments that are claimed to treat Meniere’s Disease:
Note: Some mutivitamins may meet several of these requirements.
- Manganese, 50 mg a day,
- Chromium Picolinate, to control blood sugar, which is a problem with many MD patients,
- Magnesium, 200 mg a day,
- Calcium (get coral calcium, which also has trace minerals),
- Vinpocetine (mentioned on several sites),
- Lipase enzyme (Meniere’s has been known to be caused by a lack of this enzyme)
- Niacin – Vitamin B3 (improves circulation),
- Cayenne Pepper (improves circulation),
- MSM (improves circulation)
Ginko Biloba (improves circulation),
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) (improves circulation),
- Alpha Lipoic Acid (Lipoic Acid) (for hearing loss)
- Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids (keep arteries free from plaque),
- Supplement High in B Vitamins,
- Vitamin B12
- Colloidal silver (antiviral, antibacterial)
- Noni Concentrate AND Samento (antiviral)
See this article on viruses to get doses for Noni Concentrate and Samento (use the “flu” dosage for 7 straight days):
All Causes Listed
- Aspartame (KNOWN cause),
- MSG, HVP, Cysteine (KNOWN cause),
- HSV-1 virus (may or may not be a cause),
- Food allergies (probable cause),
- Lack of lipase enzyme
If true Meniere’s Disease is caused by nerve degeneration, there are several items which are known to regenerate nerve damage. They are:
- DMSO, [see: DMSO Article]
- Helichrysum essential oils (my recommended vendor is Young Living – all other U.S. brands are junk). There is one testimonial of helichrysum helping a Menieres patient significantly. Young Living vendors can work with you on how to use cotton balls to administor the essential oil.
- EFA’s, which are a type of omega-3 fatty acids (source: The pH Miracle for Diabetes, by Robert O. Young, PhD), it is best to make the omega-3 water soluble, see:
Making Omega 3 water soluble
- Insulin (source: Treating Cancer With Insulin Potentiation Therapy, by Ross A. Hauser, M.D. et. al.),
Please let me know what works and doesn’t work so I can pass it on to others.