This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tara: Cancer Tutor 2 months ago.
August 2, 2018 at 11:49 am #110416
Diagnosed with prostate cancer 3 years ago. Biopsy then showed 3 cores out of 12. Active surveilance since then, though urologist pushed for surgery the entire time. Tried better diet (no sugar, more fruits/veggies, no meat, lost weight). PSA has risen steadily and hovers around 12 for last year. Recent biopsy 7/12 cores with % from 8-18%, three Gleason 4+4, one 4+3, two 3+4 and one 3+3. Assuming still contained in prostate. So, now the ball is rolling toward surgery (I'd never do radiation) with bone and cat scans scheduled, as well as pre-surgery labs. I never wanted to do this but the fear of the cancer metastasizing to the bone is horrible. Just asking if anyone has been in or knows of similar biopsy results that were successfully treated with alternative methods. Concern is that this aggressive cancer won't be contained for long. Any ideas. Thanks. PeaceAugust 2, 2018 at 12:45 pm #110419
James- I would check out Hyperthermia- it is a 1 shot treatment cooking the prostate through the rectum.
Or I would check out Transurethral hyperthermia- it is heat treatment through the urethra.
Do something while it is still in the capsule.
Surgery has the nerve bundle damage complications- want to wear diapers/pads the rest of your life?
Radiation- SBRT, Cyberknife, Tomo, etc is a very pin pointed treatment of the prostate. Only 5 sessions. Good results with this treatment. This is what I did, but I waited 2 yrs, due to low numbers (watchful waiting) and by then it had gone from T2-T3 (outside the cap). Much harder to treat now- now you are dealing with systemic treatment(mainly hormone, possible chemo)August 2, 2018 at 4:54 pm #110420
Thanks so much for the info. I see my urologist next week and want to be armed with info about alternatives to surgery. Not eager to wear diapers for the rest of my life. I'll try and find somewhere nearby (I'm in Arizona) and look into those treatments. It's just such a scare when they say that the cancer has become aggressive and ‘if it leaves the prostate, you'll have 2 years.' Hope you're doing well and regaining health. Thanks again.August 15, 2018 at 2:04 pm #110701
So I had bone scan and CT scan last week. Everything shows no sign of metastesis (whew) and the bladder, lungs, pelvis all look good. I see a second opinion oncologist tomorrow and my urologist next week. I guess my questions for them are 1) do I need to hurry and have surgery and 2) what are the most feasible, effective alternatives if I don't? Guess it depends on the aggressiveness of the cancer. But how does one even determine that? Head scratching.August 16, 2018 at 10:36 am #110723
Tara: Cancer Tutor
First, that's great news that there is no sign of metastesis. A second opinion is fantastic. Excellent questions, and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need. It's their job to share as much information as you need so you can make an informed decision.
All the best.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.